Friday 12 June 2009

Straight & Narrow

Day 68, Stage 46 - Hattiesburg to Mobile
98 miles in 6hrs 10mins (just muffins & juice stops again)
Total distance - 3,956 miles
So much for the early start I'd planned this morning to beat the heat. I had no real right to be tired today after yesterday's short stage but I definitely was so the 6.15 alarm was switched off, and again, and again until I finally surfaced at 8.30 to get on the road at 9.15. It was already hot but I'd pumped up the tyres last night to rock-like pressures and the wind was essentially behind me. While things weren't likely to be easy, they should at least be quick.

And they were, helped yet again by the playlist of tunes I've programmed into the iPhone. In hindsight I perhaps shouldn't have put all up tempo tracks on playlist as, no matter how much I tell myself to take it easy, I can't help but pedal that little bit faster when the next tune comes on.

As for the scenery today, beside spotting the sign in the pic (which I was delighted to see, though perhaps not the wording), I honestly could have been cycling past 50 miles of fields filled with cancanning cows and I wouldn't have noticed as for most of the day I had to be totally focussed on riding along a narrow 6"-18" strip of grey between the 3" drop at the edge of the tarmac and the rutted grooves ground into the road at the side of the lanes. Mentally an extremely tiring ride. Things got even worse the minute the road crossed the state line into Alabama as the four lanes went down to two - I just pedalled on and hoped all the way down to Mobile docks and the rather ugly, but beatiful sight to me of no land on the horizon as I reached the Gulf of Mexico.

In the absence of seeing anything to write about today I thought I'd briefly write about the weather. I'd heard so many horror stories about the heat and humidity here I'd been quite worried. It was another 90F day and while the conditions are draining, I have to say I'm finding the cycling a lot more bearable than the ultra-dry heat of the east-coast desert stages.

One last point to ponder. How are people from Alabama known? Are they Alabammers, or is that just bin laden and his crew?

4 comments:

  1. They're known as "Alabamians". Roll Tide! :)

    Hi, I'm from the area you are cycling in, born and raised in Pensacola, Florida (next door to Mobile)

    Drink lots of water while you're here, you'll need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fraser

    Well seen that you are fair Mobile as you approach the 4000 mile mark and your last state. Hope the roads improve and you pedal safely while looking after yourself. Take care.

    Love Grahame

    P.s is one of you chosen tracks on your ipod by Queen? You know it 'I want to ride my bicy...'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow the 4000 point ? That really is something to think about and six months ago would you have had the same thoughts. Really something Fra. Rowan was also wishing you well !

    Keep focused but enjoy these days as the miles are getting to an end !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've inspired me! I'm starting to plan a trip to go see Angus and Lynn, and I kid you not, I actually Googled "cycling Seattle to Montana" as one of my potential transportation options. While 7 x 85 mile days is not exactly doable for me now, it certainly could be next summer! :)

    ReplyDelete