Saturday 30 May 2009

Oklahoma!

Day 55, Stage 36 - Shamrock to Weatherford
101 miles in 7hrs 5mins (incl. two short snack stops)
Total Distance - 3,102 miles
(Damn mail just crashed when I was about to send this so apologies for the short blog today).

It was another day of flat roads under blue skies with the temperature just the right side of too hot.

I was 170 miles from Oklahoma city when I set off from Shamrock early this morning and I was thinking that, if the wind turned my way, then I might just be able to get there in one long stint.

The first two hours to my morning pizza at Sayre, after 36 miles, went well bringing me into Oklahoma, the ninth state of the trip. Here I stumbled across the sculpture in the pic. Apparently it represents 'the spirit of the wild west'. And who says the Americans can't do art?! The next stop was the 'official' Route 66 museum at Elk City (as opposed to the dozen-or-so unofficial ones I've seen along the road). Here I bought what, I've just realised, is my first trinket of the trip; a Route 66 wristband - it's all about the weight.

As I left Elk City I realised the wind had turned, but had turned the wrong way as it was a NE'erly and I was heading east. Ok City was not going to happen so I continued a forgettable 40miles down the interstate to stop next to the legendary, but frankly disappointing, Lucille's diner (the 'mother of the mother road').

In the meantime, armadillo has come from nowhere to top the unofficial roadkill tally that I've been mentally keeping. The list is something like; 1) armadillo, 2) cat, 3) skunk, 4) snake, 5) coyote, 6) tortoise, 7) deer, 8) squirrel, 9) dog . Well, I did say things have been a bit boring as of late!

Forecast looking good for tomorrow's short 65 mile stint into OC where my broken Cannondale should be waiting for me in one if the local bike shops to see if it can be warrantied. Here's hoping.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Fra went to subway for the first time and was looking at your foot long things.....only had half that myself, but they are huge.....

    Your making good time on the flat but dont overdo it...Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it may be pizza today, but your many visits to Subway gave Wayne an idea, and I just acted on that idea. I just emailed Subway a comment entitled "Scottish Cyclist Relies on Subway While Riding Across US" and directed them to your blog. Maybe you'll get a commercial deal out of it. Or maybe just a free sandwich somewhere. Or maybe nothing, but surely it couldn't hurt to tell them about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Armadillos have a death wish for sure in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete