Friday 20 March 2009

Mountain Bike Mecca

I've been good as of late, having done no real tinkering to the route for the past few weeks. However, as I'm sitting here at almost 2am noting down the local bike shops along the way (or more importantly, where there ain't any) I think that's all about to change, because of two words ... Slickrock, Moab. Probably the world's best know mountain bike route. An almost mythical place to the fat-tyred cyclists amongst us and one of those places like Monaco, St Andrews, Wimbledon, Alpe d'Huez, Peahi, Trollveggen, where the place is the sport.

Now I'd previously spotted that the route I was planning was going to take me to about 100 miles south of Moab, but had reluctantly decided I didn't think it would be worth the detour (incidentally, I briefly, and very foolishly, said the same thing about the Grand Canyon when first drawing up the route 6 months ago). But then I stumbled upon this tonight ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmDZUY5kGdw

Worth the 3 day, 180 mile detour just to ride that 10 mile loop? I think I shall definitely be finding out.

1 comment:

  1. Fraser, I work (and run)with Pete Smith who has just sent the link to your blog. The reason for the comment is that I'm flying to LA on the 7th of May and will be driving up the coast to Monterrey on the 9th and 10th before heading inland to Sequoia and Kings Canyon Nat Parks before a week in Yosemite. I just wondered if our routes were likely to pass as you may appreciate some proper British piss take comments shouting from the car as we pass, much better than the PC Amaricans can muster I'm sure!
    Only joking, it would be good though to keep an eye out for you and have a chat if you can spare 5 mins or so for a rest. I've just got myself a Blackberry as it was free on my contract so have email and internet so will try to keep up to date with your progress while we're out there.
    My email add is
    phil.walker3@btinternet.com
    let me know if you think you'll be in the Monterrey to LA area between the 9th and 10th of May.
    Cheers,
    Phil Walker

    ReplyDelete